Sunday 16 October 2011

Fitness Challenge: Week 2

Its the end of the second week and although I have managed to keep to a good portion size, fluid intake and doing exercise everyday; I feel as if I was more lazy this week.
This is pretty normal for me and I assume for most people, their first week they are head strong they will continue to do it and the second week comes along and they just don't have it in them. Maybe it is because I used a lot of energy in the first week and now I just want to rest and catch up on myself? But I did keep going, I made sure I got out and done some exercise and pretty much forced myself to drink (I have never been keen on drinking throughout the day so this is a huge challenge for me in itself).
I did have a few treats as well, a quarter of a pork pie and two chocolate treats, not in the same day but through out the week. Part of me feels guilty because of that but the other part of me doesn't and keeps telling me that I deserve it as I haven't had a treat for 2 weeks.

Week 2 Mini-Challenge
(The mini challenge was to find out why we emotionally eat and how can we change that)

All week I have been trying to figure out why I eat, of course for survival but why do I over eat?
I believe that it all started when I was little, I wasn't big when I was little..Well ok I had a little bit extra then everyone at school but I wasn't huge. But then I started to get bullied by most of the kids at the school and sometimes by the teachers. This continued until I was 16, once I got to high school the teachers didn't bully me but there were new faces and they would laugh and me or call me names and I just got sick of it and decided I couldn't go back to school, I left school without any grades..
Through all my school years I would turn to food to help, it seemed at the time to have all the answers for me but at the same time it was the problem. So I basically ate because I was unhappy, and I was unhappy because I ate.

My mum and dad would always cook our meals, we would normally have home cooked meals with veg and a decent portion. But my parents were getting tired and hurting more so we ended up having more processed food rather than homemade, but always making sure there was some sort of veg on our plates.
After meals I would sneak back in the kitchen and take a bit more food or get a biscuit or chocolate.

My mum and sisters would try and help me with losing weight, but it would pile on, even when I was eating the right foods and doing the right exercise and not cheating I would just put more and more weight on. And in the end I couldn't understand why.


I don't want to blame this on my health problems, but I do think that they do have some sort of role in this. Some of the problems I have and the medication that I have been on in the past and current say that one of the side effects are gaining weight, so this is something that is going to make losing weight even more tricky.

I am also not smoking as much as I was (used to smoke 40-60 a day) and so I am eating more because of that, I don't know why that it is but I think that happens with everyone.

My partner did have some influence for me gaining weight, as he would buy me chocolate treats and add extra to my plate, we would be playing more on the computer than going out walking the dog or just going for a walk. So he was adding to my problem, but after talking to him about this he helping me so much through this, he is even taking part in this without blogging about this and with these two weeks he has lost 4lbs, so we are now working together to be more healthy.

I guess the whole reason why I eat is for comfort, I haven't been able to get over the whole school problem fully and I still comfort eat because of that reason, or I think I am hungry so I will eat.
To stop this from happening I am going to try and switch this to drinking, if I think I am hungry get a drink or get some fruit, or even take the dog for a walk. Which I am starting to do.

Week 2 Results:
Fluid Intake - 4 cups per day
Chest - 52" (+1.8")
Waist - 51" (-1.6)
Hips - 58.8" (+0.2")
Weight - 19st 2lbs (-1lbs)

I am pleased I have lost some weight I thought I would have gained it with those treats I had.
I am slightly surprised with gaining a few inches on my chest and hips considering they look smaller, but my partner seems to be happy with me gaining an inch or so around the chest area, lol!

3 comments:

  1. Really, a treat every now and again doesn't hurt. Only if they sneak back in *every* day do they become a problem. From what I read, you are doing great. And don't remember, even a healthier lifestyle needs to lead to a life that you enjoy. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Diandra. You must reward yourself at least once in a while--I do. What is the fun of trying to hard, if you can't enjoy yourself (with care) at least once?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on weight loss! I am with you on the comfort sometimes good food and a good movie are just what my heart ordered but I am trying to find other things to make my heart soar! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete