Friday 21 October 2011

Book Review: The Poison Diaries

Most of the books that I have read have been mainly spiritual books. I decided that I was going to try and read a few fiction books to see what they were like and try to find another interest instead of my spirituality.
The first book that I read which made me fall in love with fiction books was The Poison Diaries.

The story is about a young girl called Jessamine Luxton living with her father, telling us all about her days looking after her father's garden while he is away trying to help ill people get better by using herbs.
They end up being host to a young boy, who has also an interest in herbs and plants, and things starts to get more dangerous for Jessamine as she is drawn to the poisonous plants, but not the way she could have imagined.



I was really excited to read this book as it was based around Alnwick Gardens, which was in the area that I went to school and always loved that area. Plus the main theme of the book was about plants and herbs, which is another interest of mine.
After I had read the first chapter I just fell in love with it and the style of how it was written, somewhat like a diary form.

When I was reading the book it reminded me a lot about myself due to the whole gardening, so I felt closer with the main character and as if I was going through that myself.
As the book got closer to the end it got even more interesting, I liked what they had done with the plants and I had not read anything like that in any other book so I thought that was very intriguing.
As the book ended I felt very disappointed, I believe I screamed when I read the last page as I didn't want it to just end there, but I am pleased to know there is a second book out (The Poison Diaries - Nightshade), which I can not wait to get a hold of.

No comments:

Post a Comment